A NEW PROPOSAL FOR A
MIXED-USE INTERGENERATIONAL NEIGHBORHOOD
Cross & Company is pleased to share with you the next steps in creating a new inter-generational neighborhood in Thurmont. The citizens who voted in January said they do not want the new community previously approved in concept for the Simmers Property by both the Thurmont Planning Commission and the Mayor and the Board of Commissioners.
Our new and revised concept plans, nicknamed Simmers Deja Vu, is for the portion of the Simmers Property located in the Town and zoned R-5. This townhouse community in phase one, all designed as a matter of right under the Thurmont subdivision ordinance, is based around what we hope are some common goals and observations listed below.
We are pleased for the opportunity to bring to Thurmont
- The Simmers Property is not going to remain a fallow farm field. It will be put to some productive use to address the shortage of housing in our society and to satisfy unaddressed market demand.
- Ten 2-story villa style townhouses, 24 feet wide, approximately 1,564 sq ft, 3 bdr, 2 baths, with ground floor primary bedroom and integral front-loaded garage, intended as Senior Independent Living dwellings.
- Thirty 3-story townhouses, 20 feet wide, approximately 1,220 sq ft, 3 bdr, 2 baths, integral front-loaded garage.
- The new plans still include a Senior Assisted Living Facility, in the second phase, which over three hundred town residents said was desirable when asked as part of the Town of Thurmont Economic Development Study.
- The new plans include Senior Independent Living townhouse dwellings with garages that feature ground floor primary bedrooms and an interior design suitable for the needs of that clientele. This is a change from the smaller senior living ground floor condominiums in the prior plan.
- The new plans still include entry level, multi-bedroom townhouses, with garages. The prior plan included condominiums of various sizes and price points within the “English flat” style 12-unit buildings, which are now eliminated and replaced by townhouses because of the citizen vote.
- The new plans now include Single Family Houses in the second phase, on lot sizes allowed by Town regulations in the R-5 Zone and with interior designs meant for inter-generational living.
- The new plans require 96 parking spaces. Cross & Company will be offering 101 parking spaces in this section.
Frequently Asked Questions
What about traffic?
There is minimal impact on traffic from the new neighborhood. The Traffic Impact Study (TIS) prepared for the Town states “the only intersection where the proposed uses increase the projected delay by more than a second is at the Apples Church / Carroll Street intersection and the projected delays at this intersection are still very good”. Please click the button below for more information on the traffic impact study.
What about schools?
Frederick County Public Schools (FCPS) states that current Thurmont school capacity ranges from between 57% and 73%, and is projected to remain well below state rated capacity for the next 10 years. Please click the button below for more information regarding school data.
What about density?
The new proposal for development in the Simmers Property in Phase One (the acreage already in the town of Thurmont and zoned R-5) has a proposed density of 5.3 dwellings per acre. Please click the button below for more information regarding density.
Cross & Company, LLC is a licensed real estate brokerage in the State of Maryland. We support the creation and provision of fair housing throughout the State, to all citizens, regardless or race, color, religion, sex, familial status, national origin, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or source of income.